Friday, October 8, 2010

good ideas


You've heard of reduce, reuse, recycle, and have you also heard of refill?

In the words of Edible Santa Barbara: In an effort to reduce their carbon footprint, Municipal Winemakers sell their wines straight from the tap, in reusable glassware, sealed with convenient swing-top closures.

By using washable glass containers, these wineries not only decrease waste and energy expense, they are also able to reduce transport, labor and per bottle packaging costs, a savings they hope to pass along to the consumer. Labels, cork and glassware can cost the winery up to four dollars, but with reusable containers, customers pay for the bottle with the initial purchase and can return for discounted refills of their favorite wines.





I LOVE this. Chuck and I went to the winery tonight and bought a refillable liter of this Syrah. Unfortunately he won't be able to try it since i will be taking it with me tomorrow...




Here.

In the morning i'll be driving about three hours east to a ranch near the Sequoia's. I'll be spending the weekend with about fifteen girlfriends, some going back all the way to kindergarten! it's our annual (sort of, more like whenever we can make it happen) girlfriends get-a-way.





This is something i look forward to more with each passing year. Here we are two years ago in Bend, Oregon. When i am with these girls (there will be even more friends this time, thank you facebook) i feel like i'm back in highschool, oh the fun we have! I'm almost ready to go... I've got my wine, now where did i put my cowboy boots?


Have a great weekend sweet friends (i wish you were all coming too, couldn't we have a big blog meet-get-a-way?).

♥ lori


p.s. if you live in the Santa Barbara area (and you like wine) check out Municipal Winemakers here. They are even entirely paperless, i signed for my receipt on an ipad and then they emailed it to me. so cool.


18 comments:

  1. Oooh this IS cool!
    have a fab weekend xxx

    PS facebook has been an amazing tool for getting in touch with people you haven't heard from since the Year Dot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, how fun! On our vacations in France, that's how we used to buy our wine. Except you didn't even need a bottle - any container would do. ;-)

    Your weekend looks fabulous!! How fun you get to spend time with your friends like that...

    Much love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  3. refillable wine bottle? I'm so there!!

    have a super wonderful time Lori.
    I know how special a girlfriend getaway can be. take lots of pictures to share!

    xo♥

    word veri= curical
    Just what the doctor ordered :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much fun are you going to have? Very much. And I remember getting wine like that in Europe. We are a little slow catching up, I think. ;)
    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea! This is really perfect for our times!

    Have fun with your friends.....enjoy every minute!

    Love,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. you girls all look so youthful you could still be in high school!! how fortunate that you are able to gather with so many buddies like that on an annual basis - have a blast dear lori!!

    and how cool -- green wine! ;-)

    p.s. i have yet to go on facebook - with teenage children i always felt it was their thing -- but i hear of so many of us grownups on it now reconnecting with old friends i feel i might need to change my mind about this.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, I am so happy for you! I was just thinking that I need something like this and soon! Have a most wonderful trip!!! XOXO
    P.S. The refill idea is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori, This is a really GOOD idea. We're gonna see if we can get a similar effort going up here. I'd loyally buy wine and beer in refillable containers even if I had a preference for some other brand. The satisfaction of knowing the footprint is smaller would add satisfaction in the mind that the tongue might miss. And, oh, I love it that you're getting together with old friends. My school is doing its 140 year old birthday party today. 600 people are coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea Lori. We have a pile of empties here - it would be such fun to refill them,,,, and then empty them again :):) have a fab weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the wine idea...and, I am so envious of your getaway, sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving that idea! Such wise people. Have fun sweetheart with 'the girls' xx♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori - what a fantastic "green" idea. In Kenya I noticed that the hotels supplied shampoo and body wash in refillable glass bottles, eliminating all of that plastic packaging.

    Have a blast with the girls Lori. Sounds like so much fun and I know you will come home with photos. Pleeeze? Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you have a great time this weekend, meeting old friends is one of the best thing in life!!!

    Happy getaway dear Lori!!!

    ( oh, there´s a heart shaped lake for you on my recent post!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hello sweet friend!

    well...! how was it? what did you do? did you stay up all night? who said what? who cooked? who ordered out? who looked the best? were there horses? did the stars look magical?

    (cut it out, kj! calm down!)

    i should comment on the good ideas. i get too excited :)

    i met a phd woman last week who is touring the country speaking to corporations that the time of abundance has passed. there is so much we each should/haveto do to conserve and protect. this is a small step, but if only if were this way everywhere, how much waste would be avoided.

    oh, and lori, was the wine terrific? did you drink it under the stars?

    loveyoutimesfive.

    kj

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this amazing eco friendly winery!

    Hope the reunion was excellent fun & looking forward to hearing all about it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah! I'm so jealous! Hope you had an incredible amount of fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking forward to your report!

    As a kid, we used to buy our milk in refillable milk bottles, or earlier even in milk cans with a lid. The first time I saw milk in cardboard boxes in PA, I thought, what a waste! And now finally the recycling thought has come back. With milk, it was necessary to clean the bottle thoroughly, but with wine it`ll work any way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes it is a great idea, Lori! Thanks for posting about this.
    Hope you had a fabulous time with your friends!!

    ReplyDelete

xoxo lori